Excellent for Mountain Biking
and Road Cycling
on Trip Advisor
CHATEL SUMMER HOLIDAYS IN THE ALPS
Chatel & Abondance Valley
Nestled in the heart of the Portes du Soleil, the offering of an unforgettable experience lays here in Chatel and the Abondance Valley. It is ideal for families, couples and friends. Chatel is the perfect village resort with unspoiled mountain views which harbours a hive of activity, fun, gourmet food and adventure. The combination of the tranquil farming life and well managed tourism, means you will be over awed with things to do making Chatel and the surrounding areas the ideal summer mountain experience.
Chatel remains true to its mountain character and is firmly rooted in traditions. The vast array of style and luxury means you have excellent options of where to stay, all properties generally will have stunning views. Those traditions extend to the fantastic menus in the great restaurants of Chatel. From Tartiflette to Fondue or excellent meat dishes, the catering is for everyone’s taste and all to an exceptional standard.
Chatel is a lively village during both the winter and summer months, enjoying festivals and a thriving tourist community. Located only 40 minutes from Lake Geneva or to many other superb and interesting locations to visit, Chatel is your ideal summer mountain holiday and fabulous mountain bike break.
Make sure you stay at accommodation who support the Multi-pass scheme for you to receive all the savings and benefits of activities in Chatel. The pass costs just €2.50 a day if staying with a member of the scheme as opposed to €12.50 a day if not. This can be a big saving with a family of four.
Summer Activities in Chatel
Chatel in the Portes du Soleil and the surrounding areas offer you the opportunity to explore the many activities on offer.
- Mountain Biking – Chatel Bike Park notoriously reknown as one of the best biking areas in Europe.
- Hiking – Whether you use the lift system to elevate you higher or just take gentle walks around the lake, all abilities are catered for.
- Zip Wire – The Fantasticable sees you whizz from one mountain to the next 272m in the air.
- Adventure Park – A super adventure park with zip wires and climbing frames from tree to trees ideal for children.
- Via Ferrata – Climb the rocks attaching yourself to the wall and ascending up to 250m.
- Lakes – Relax around Lake Vonnes in Chatel or go down to Lake Geneva and hire a boat or explore the beautiful villages and towns on the waters edge.
- Festivals – Traditions come alive in the valley with many festivals celebrating the cows and the heritage of the valley. Very lively and include lots of alcohol and cheese.
- Thermal Baths and Spa – A beautiful open and indoor facility for those whom wish to relax by the pool or even get a massage.
- Yoga – Many private instructors as well as classes offered in the village.
The Summer in Chatel season usually lasts from June through to the beginning of September, but remember it is always possible to come inbetween seasons and enjoy the peace and tranquility.
The attraction for mountain bikers coming to Chatel, is the thought of tackling the beautifully crafted trails in Bike Park Chatel
Bike Park Chatel is situated centrally amongst all of the bike parks, easily accessible from Chatel which makes this the perfect location to base yourself:
- 21 ski lifts open to facilitate your riding
- Estimated 600kms of trails with a whole lot more secret single trails to discover
- E-Bike Tour of 80kms sign posted for you to follow
- 50 Downhill runs of varying levels. Recce each one before nailing for safety reasons
- Mountain Bike schools and guides available
- Excellent bike hire, service and support in Chatel from Switch 5 and Mountain Ride
For more information about our Mountain bike holidays, please visit our website: www.mountainbikebreaks.com
Chatel has been host to a finishing stage of both the Criterium du Dauphine and the Tour de Romandie in recent years. Both tours when not finishing here in Chatel generally pass by very close, which is testimonial of the excellent roads and the popularity of the area for big climbs and stunning scenery.
Enjoy breathtaking views whilst you ride some of classic alpine passes such as the Col du Corbier, Col de la Forclaz and the Grande St Bernard Pass plus many many more. Many local routes in the Chatel region can incorporate big and multiple climbs or huge stretches of flat to give an overall road bike experience dressed by knock out scenery.
You may wish to enter in events close by:
Cyclo Tour – A lap of Lake Geneva 176kms with only 400m total ascent.
The Haute Route – One of the toughest amateur events in the area pushing you to the limits.